A place for EAs, PAs, Admin Assistants, in fact any kind of Assistants, to find motivation, inspiration and collaboration. Join the discussions, read what others have to say and find new ways to deal with the everyday challenges of being someone's 'right hand'.



What Motivates you to do a Good Job?


I'm pretty sure we've all been asked this one in a job interview and that we've all got a pre-prepared answer ready to impress a potential employer, but what is the honest answer?

I've recently been asked this by a manager and automatically spouted out the job interview line, but it got me thinking about what actually does motivate me to do a good job, other than the desire to get paid...

It's pretty easy to see the external things that motivate us. Being praised, bonuses, pay rises and promotions are all rewards that drive many of us to work harder, but these are really only short term motivators - i.e. once the reward is achieved, the motivation tends to wain as the extra effort was only in order to receive the reward.

Intrinsic or internal motivators are a bit harder to pinpoint. If you are intrinsically motivated you work hard because you want to; because it's challenging or satisfying to do so. This form of motivation is usually far more successful and more likely to make you jump out of bed in the morning raring to go.

I think over the last few years I've become distracted with external motivators (although if my boss is reading this pay rises, bonuses and tickets to the races are always appreciated), and lost touch with what really motivated me to keep coming to work - I genuinely do find it challenging and satisfying to be a great 'right hand woman'.

So what motivates you at work - is it power, prestige, recognition, achievement, security, money or something else entirely?

posted under |

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What about the fear of being fired?

Anonymous said...

Most people work for one person at a time, I am a little more stretched than that. I really love working for the CEO I have now, he is fair, easy to get along with. My job would be better described as Bob, I am the kind of person that it doesn't matter what needs to be done if I can get it done I will. I think one of the greatest assests in many roles has been my ability to remember numbers.
This site is a great idea for those of us that feel a little isolated. We all have huge reponsibility to keep things flowing & must be the fountain of knowledge. Once you get to know your co workers better you can get inside their heads and know what they would want, I agree you can never ask too many questions I would rather ask than make a mistake. Previously I have baby sat a cat, cleaned house, driven home their car, watered the garden, gardener and been the missing spouse when they needed to off load stress and yell (I think this may have been way beyond my job discription). All I can say is we do go above and beyond to do better at our jobs. When you enjoy your job its all worth it and believe me when you have had the worst you appreciate the best.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Powered by Blogger.

Followers


Recent Comments